Monday, March 9, 2009

Atoms

Have you ever just sat and tried to comprehend an atom? Sounds easy, right? Not so much.

I am a biology major. When dealing with the sciences, it is a requirement to have at least a basic knowledge of how atoms work. And really, if you spell out what atoms are in their most basic form, it's not hard to get.

For me, I understand the concepts behind atoms. it works out perfectly. Hands down, I get what's going on. But what completely boggles my mind is when I try to connect it to my world. I know that the air I breathe is full of atoms. i know that my computer, desk, walls, and floor are all composed of atoms. i know the trees, the water I drink, the animals outside, and even myself is all made of atoms. But what gets me are the reactions that happen all the time.

So take a moment to think about it. Know that the air that you are breathing right now is composed of atoms. Then comprehend that as it enters your lungs, it reacts to form other atoms that are then released from your body into the air. Look at the desk or table you are working at. It has millions of billions of atoms all bound together, continually moving. What really gets me is when i remember that the majority of what atoms are composed of is empty space. How weird is that?! And if you look at it that way, the majority of you and everything in this world is made up of empty space. That's when I chuckle at the thought of being solid.

No comments: